Jewett School, Allegan Township, Allegan County, Michigan
Location: 42.5362, -85.8601, in the Pioneer Village at the Allegan County Fairgrounds, 150 Douglas Street.
Jewett School (also once known as Brownell School), stood on property settled by three Brownell brothers in 1837 and bought by George Jewett in 1853. The school was built in 1873. In 1918, the 2/5 acres of land the school stood upon was sold to School District No. 5 for $112.50. The school was closed at the end of the school year in spring of 1966. It was moved to the Pioneer Village at the Allegan County Fairgrounds in 1971. The schoolhouse is a wooden frame building, painted off-white with red accents. It has an intact bell tower, but no school bell. Originally the Millgrove School was slated to move here, but that structure wasn't up to travel. However, Jewett School had its bell tower removed at some point, so the bell tower from the Millgrove School is the one that sits on top of Jewett School today.