South Monterey School, Heath Township, Allegan County, Michigan
Location: withheld since this is now a private residence.
South Monterey School (Heath District No 1) was established in 1867, and is now a private residence. It's a wood-frame structure, now painted green, with a gorgeous bell tower and a school bell inside. A rope attached to the bell mechanism runs down to the front porch, so the bell can presumably still be rung. In its conversion to a home, it's obvious that extensive renovations were done, and it's difficult now to determine where windows, doors and other features were placed. However, the bell tower and the signage make it obvious that this was once a schoolhouse.