Lee School, Hastings Township, Barry County, Michigan
Location: 42.61811, -85.20781, in Historic Charlton Park, Hastings, MI.
Lee School (Hastings District No 7) was built in 1869 on land owned by William Lee at the northeast corner of Carlton Center and Martin Roads. 1st through 8th grade students attended the Lee School until 1923 when it was closed and turned into a grainery until 1975, when it was moved to Historic Charlton Park. Lee School is a rectangular wood-frame schoolhouse painted white with only a single centered door on its front, and three windows on each side of the schoolhouse. It rests on a fieldstone foundation in Historic Charlton Park and has a beautiful bell tower with a school bell inside, which came from the Bird School from the same period since the original bell tower had to be removed from the Lee School several years before it had been moved. Some of the desks inside are from the Martin Corners School on Center Road since the original Lee School desks were destroyed by fire while in storage in a barn.