Poe's Corner School, Newberg Township, Cass County, Michigan
Location: 41.9265, -85.8191, at 13020 Born St, Jones, MI.
Poe's Corner School (Newberg District No 2) was built in 1856 and named for the many members of George Poe who settled his 520 acres of land starting in 1835. The schoolhouse is a wooden-frame structure, painted white. The left (west) side of the school has 7 huge windows adjacent to each other; that side of the school is nearly all glass. The right (east) side has only 2 windows. The front of the school has a small cloak-room with a single door and small windows on either side of the cloak room to light it, then a large window on the front face of the school, on either side of the cloak-room, which most likely lit the schoolroom since they faced south. No bell tower remains. On October 13, 1921, the school was temporarily closed due to an outbreak of smallpox. In 1957 the school district merged with the Marcellus School District; the school building became the Newberg Township Hall in 1958, and is well kept, having a good modern metal roof today.