Green School, Seville Township, Gratiot County, Michigan
Location: 43.39008, -84.83636, at Lumberjack Rd and NW Williams Rd, in Riverdale, MIs.
Green School was built in 1874, and is now a museum along the Fred Meijer Heartland Trail. It was originally located in Isabella County, but moved here in 1988. It's bell tower holds a beautiful school bell, it has relatively-new white siding, and a red modern metal roof. The schoolhouse has 6 large windows on one side and no windows at all on the other side. Around 1920, this was the Michigan state recommendation for windows in schoolhouses - put all the windows on the left side of the students rather than some on each side, so that right-handed writers will have their work illuminated. Many schoolhouse built before then had 3 windows on each side and were modified around 1920 to conform to the new standard. The side without windows has one door, maybe an emergency exit added to the schoolhouse after initial construction. The front of the schoolhouse has a single centered front door with an awning above it, and with a fairly large window on either side.