East Liberty School, Liberty Township, Jackson County, Michigan
Location: 42.11789, -84.37654, at 2231 Jefferson Rd, Clarklake, MI.
East Liberty School (Liberty District No 7) stands next to the Universalist Unitarian Church of East Liberty which owns the building. It was built in 1886, in use through 1956 and closed in 1957. It is a rectangular red-brick structure on a fieldstone foundation. It has a single centered front door with a wooden school identification sign above it reading "1886-1956 East Liberty School #7". A large arched window stands on either side of the front door, and 3 identical windows are found on each side of the schoolhouse. Unfortunately, there is no remaining bell tower or school bell. Above each of the 8 windows and the door is a double-row of edge-on non-projecting bricks forming an arch above the window. There is a small white cement block addition on the back of the school, providing an emergency exit and perhaps a furnace, since the only chimney on the building emerges from this addition. The school was renovated by church members, including painting the building, the interior walls and trim, and refinishing the wooden floor.