Riceville School, Concord Township, Jackson County, Michigan

Location: 42.17740, -84.64001, in Hubbard Memorial Museum at 317 Hanover St, Concord, MI.

Riceville School (Parma/Concord District No 10) was built in the Greek Revival Style in 1855 at the corner of Gibbs and Erie Roads. It is a really strangle schoolhouse. Its a rectangular wood-frame building painted white, with two garage doors on one end, which might have been the front, and a doorway with a sliding door cover on the other end. I'm guessing this was used as farm storage between when it closed in 1962 and when it was donated by the Boehlke family on whose property it was located, to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation in 1994, therefore the garage doors for access by larger equipment. The two sides of the building are also unusual, with only two large windows on each side, where there is easily space for a third window in the center of both sides. An old photo shows 4 windows on the left side of the schoolhouse, with a front hosting only a centered door, suggesting a more conventional design in the past for this schoolhouse. An intricate bell tower is in the center of the roof, rather than at the front edge which is more normal. The bell tower is closed-off with louvers, but articles state a replacement school bell is housed in it.

    
Riceville School, built in the Greek Revival Style in 1855, closed in 1962, donated to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation in 1994. Located in Concord Township of Jackson County, Michigan
    
Riceville School, built in the Greek Revival Style in 19855, closed in 1962, donated to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation in 1994. Located in Concord Township of Jackson County, Michigan
    
Riceville School, built in the Greek Revival Style in 19855, closed in 1962, donated to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation in 1994. Located in Concord Township of Jackson County, Michigan
    
Riceville School, built in the Greek Revival Style in 19855, closed in 1962, donated to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation in 1994. Located in Concord Township of Jackson County, Michigan

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)