Brick School, Comstock Township, Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Location: withheld since this is now a private residence.
Brick School (G&P Fractional District No 1) was built in 1868 and closed around 1950 or 1951. It was then used for Sunday School and Ladies Aid Community Club. A new roof was installed in 1996 and it became a private residence in 1997. This is a red-brick schoolhouse set upon a fieldstone foundation with 3 large arched windows on each side, a centered arched front door and a large arched window on either side of the door. One of the front windows is boarded up, as is one on the right side. The door and windows are arched at the top, and projecting brick arches are above them. The corners of the school are also decorated as projecting brickwork, and the top 15-inches or so under the roofline is projecting brickwork, with the bottom row set sideways. There is no remaining bell tower but the school identification plate remains above the front door.