Celery Flats School, Portage Township, Kalamazoo County, Michigan

Location: 42.20944, -85.58490, at 7340 Garden Ln, Portage, MI.

Celery Flats School (Portage District No 8), built in 1859 and in use until 1947, is a fine example of Greek Revival Architecture. It was originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated in 1856 by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Portage Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. It was originally called Prairie Edge School. It was moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored. It is owned and operated by the City of Portage. It is a wood-frame schoolhouse resting on a fieldstone foundation, sided with tulip poplar wood, painted white, with two windows on either side and a centered front door with a window on either side of it. There is no remaining bell tower.

    
Celery Flats School, 1856-1947, A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Schoolcraft Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored.
    
Celery Flats School, 1856-1947, A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Schoolcraft Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored.
    
Celery Flats School, 1856-1947, A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Schoolcraft Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored.
    
Celery Flats School, 1856-1947, A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Schoolcraft Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored.
    
Celery Flats School, 1856-1947, A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Schoolcraft Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored.
    
Celery Flats School, 1856-1947, A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, originally located on Oakland Drive south of Shaver Road on land donated by Mr and Mrs Harvey Booth, in Schoolcraft Township of Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Moved in 1990 to the Celery Flats Historical Area in Portage, and restored.

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)