Detray School, Gaines Township, Kent County, Michigan

Location: 42.78305, -85.56501, at 4011 100th St SE, Caledonia, MI.

Detray School was built in 1887 to replace a torn-down log schoolhouse that was built in 1855. The school was closed in 1959, but the building was used for kindergarten for some time thereafter. After this it was used for grain storage until it was deeded to the Gaines Township Historical Society in 1990 for restoration. It is a light-brown brick structure with an intact bell tower housing a school bell, a metal roof, 4 large windows on each side, and two front doors covered by an awning: one for boys and one for girls.

    
Detray school, 1887-1959, in Gaines Township, Kent County, Michigan
    
Detray school, 1887-1959, in Gaines Township, Kent County, Michigan
    
Detray school, 1887-1959, in Gaines Township, Kent County, Michigan

An old school photograph is below:

    
Detray Schoolhouse Information from the Bess Britton One-Room Schoolhouse Collection at the Webster Memorial Library in Decatur, Michigan

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)