Bingham District No 5 School, Bingham Township, Leelanau County, Michigan
Location: 44.87554, -85.67445, at 7189 S Center Hwy, Suttons Bay, MI.
Bingham District No 5 School was built in 1877 to replace a log structure built in 1870. The school had two rooms teaching K-8. Bingham prospered during the lumber boom of the 1870s and 1880s. By 1910 the area was depleted of timber and the population declined, but the building still served as a school until after World War II. It has been used as the township hall for many years. In 1987 the school was restored to its original appearance. The schoolhouse is a wood frame building, painted white, with 3 large windows on each side and a front door and projecting cloakroom with a large window on either side of it. A bell tower still exists on the roof, with a school bell inside.