Big Stone School, New Baltimore, Chesterfield Township, Macomb County, Michigan
Location: 42.68534, -82.74153, at 51786 Washington St, New Baltimore, MI.
Big Stone School was built in 1886 and still in use during the 1950s. It is a rectangular wood-frame structure now on a fieldstone foundation. It is named after the road it was originally located on, Big Stone Road, now named 27 Mile Road in Lenox/New Haven. It had the vestibules and cloak-rooms seen in many one-room schools by the late 19th century. Separate entrances for boys and girls, seen here, were not as common. It has 3 windows on each side and a bell tower with a school bell inside. Some time after the school closed, some type of scandal was involved when New Baltimore took ownership of the schoolhouse and moved it from New Haven to where it rests now in New Baltimore.