Davis School, Davis, Macomb County, Michigan
Location: withheld since this is now a private residence.
Davis School was built in 1859 and in use as a school for 93 years until 1952, and is now an attractive and well-maintained private residence. It has 4 large windows on each side to let light into the classroom. and a single centered front door. The front of the schoolhouse consisted of only the very plain front door, but in its conversion to a residence the front door has become quite grandiose, with an attractive canopy above it and large windows above that, into what might have been made into a second story. There was once a very nice-looking bell tower on the roof above that front door, with a school bell inside, but none of this exists any longer. There is elaborate landscaping in front of the house, and additions have been made to the back of the house.
The photo below is from the Bess Britton One-Room Schoolhouse Collection at the Webster Memorial Library in Decatur, Michigan, showing what the school looked like in 1948 (main photo) and 2008 (inset).