Mill School, Ray Township, Macomb County, Michigan
Location: 42.769633, -82.928364, at 64255 Wolcott Rd, Ray, Michigan.
Mill School, built in 1863, was so-named because of its close proximity to the Wolcott Mill, a grist mill established in 1840 and now part of Wolcott Mill Metropark. The land the school stands upon had been purchased by the community on November 25, 1862, and construction began in the following spring. After closing in 1953, the school was used as the Ray Township Hall for 10 years, was vacant for 10 years, then was converted into the Ray Township Public Library in 1983, which it remains as today. A 1986 an addition was built in the back, following the school's design. The building is of Greek Revival architectural style and followed traditional one-room schoolhouse design, being 26-feet wide and 40-feet deep. It's a one-story frame structure with clapboard siding, with a double-gabled open bell tower. There are 3 large windows on each side, a single centered front door, and a large window on either side of the front door. The schoolhouse rests on a fieldstone foundation and sports an asphalt-shingle roof.