Gaffield School, Winfield Township, Montcalm County, Michigan
Location: 43.25211, -85.10345, originally in Howard City, MI, moved to Heritage Village, Sidney, MI.
Gaffield School was established in 1904, and originally located at the northeast corner of W Almy Rd and N Amble Rd, near Howard City, Michigan. It was used to educate students until the 1950s. In 1986 it was moved to the campus of Montcalm Community College and became the first of more than 25 buildings forming Heritage Village, in Sidney, Michigan. The rectangular wood-frame school on a cobblestone foundation now has white siding and a bright red front door with a prominent sign above it. A large window stands on each side of the front door. One side of the school has 6 large windows, the other side has 3. The bell tower still holds a schoolbell, and an outhouse (possibly two, one for boys and one for girls) is behind the schoolhouse. A small modern chimney vents the pot-belly stove still in the schoolhouse. A manual pump for a well stands beside the schoolhouse. A playground is at one of the back corners of the schoolhouse.