Garfield School, Garfield Township, Newaygo County, Michigan
Location: 43.42406, -85.86003, at 7190 Bingham Ave, Newaygo, MI.
Garfield School is a well-maintained brown brick schoolhouse which is now used as Garfield Township Hall, along with a more recent building behind the schoolhouse on the same property. A sign above the door proclaims it as a "Standard School", meaning one which conformed to the highest standards of Michigan one-room schoolhouses of the day. The schoolhouse was built before 1908. The bell tower is still intact, with a school bell inside it. A chimney at the rear of the school once vented a pot-belly stove. The building has a basement, unusual for a schoolhouse, but probably present since the schoolhouse is built on a hillside. The basement has fieldstone exterior walls. The single front door is centered, with a large window on either side. Both sides of the schoolhouse have 4 large windows. The brickwork is very simple, with no projecting brickwork and simple concrete lintels above the windows.