Wing Lake School, Bloomfield Township, Oakland County, Michigan

Location: 42.54493, -83.29706, at the northwest corner of Maple Rd and Wing Lake Rd.

Wing Lake School was built from local fieldstone in 1859. It is the oldest school in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, located at the northwest corner of Wing Lake Road and Maple Road in Oakland County. The schoolhouse is formed from two rectangles. The larger one holds the schoolroom, with 3 windows on the left (north) side and 2 windows at the center and rear of the right (south) side. The other rectangle is attached to the front-right corner of the schoolroom and probably serves as a cloakroom. It's front has a centered front door with a window on either side. It's left side has one window and it's right side has a window and a second door. The schoolroom rectangle has a bell tower on the peak of the roof near the front, with a school bell inside. A large school system development center has been built behind the schoolhouse in the same exterior style.

    
Wing Lake School, 1859, made of local fieldstone. This is the oldest school in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, located at the northwest corner of Wing Lake Road and Maple Road in Oakland County. A large school system development center has been built behind the schoolhouse in the same exterior style.
    
Wing Lake School, 1859, made of local fieldstone. This is the oldest school in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, located at the northwest corner of Wing Lake Road and Maple Road in Oakland County. A large school system development center has been built behind the schoolhouse in the same exterior style.
    
Wing Lake School, 1859, made of local fieldstone. This is the oldest school in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, located at the northwest corner of Wing Lake Road and Maple Road in Oakland County. A large school system development center has been built behind the schoolhouse in the same exterior style.
    
Wing Lake School, 1859, made of local fieldstone. This is the oldest school in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, located at the northwest corner of Wing Lake Road and Maple Road in Oakland County. A large school system development center has been built behind the schoolhouse in the same exterior style.
    
Wing Lake School, 1859, made of local fieldstone. This is the oldest school in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, located at the northwest corner of Wing Lake Road and Maple Road in Oakland County. A large school system development center has been built behind the schoolhouse in the same exterior style.

The bell on display beside the schoolhouse is the original bell from Wing Lake School, dedicated to Geneva Forslund for 39 years of devoted service, Sept 1928 - June 1967.

    
The original bell from Wing Lake School, dedicated to Geneva Forslund for 39 years of devoted service, Sept 1928 - June 1967.

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)