Octagon School, Shiawasee Township, Shiawasee County, Michigan
Location: withheld since this is now a private residence.
Octagon School (Shiawasee District No 9) was built in 1850. It was designed by the Reverend George Reynolds and built by a Mr. Mitchell, a local builder. The school was designed to give maximum visibility to both instructor and pupils in this oddly-shaped brick building. The floor was built in concentric circles to created a tiered incline radiating from the building's center. There was once a bell tower and school bell above the center of the roof, but that is now gone. The school closed in 1964 and was subsequently converted into a private residence. Everything beside the octagon-shaped brick part of the house, such as the patio cover, the sided rectangular portion, etc, were added as part of the house. The schoolhouse consisted of only the octagon-shaped brick part.
Here's a past photo of Octagon School: