Columbia School, Columbia Township, Tuscola County, Michigan

Location: 43.61051, -83.43142, at the southeast corner of French Rd and W Dickerson Rd.

Columbia School (Columbia District No 2) was built in 1909. It's an attractive red-brick schoolhouse, well maintained with a metal roof, and with an intact bell tower and school bell. There are 4 large windows on each side of the schoolhouse, and a central front door with a large window on either side of it. At the top of the door is a sign proclaiming this to be a "Standard School", meaning one which conformed to the highest standards of Michigan one-room schoolhouses of the day. Above that is the school identification sign which reads "1909 Columbia Dist. No. 2". The decoration around the windows is trivially simple: a concrete sill and a concrete lintel.

    
Columbia District No 2 School, built in 1909, in Columbia Township, Tuscola County, Michigan
    
Columbia District No 2 School, built in 1909, in Columbia Township, Tuscola County, Michigan
    
Columbia District No 2 School, built in 1909, in Columbia Township, Tuscola County, Michigan
    
Columbia District No 2 School, built in 1909, in Columbia Township, Tuscola County, Michigan
    
Columbia District No 2 School, built in 1909, in Columbia Township, Tuscola County, Michigan

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)