West Brick School, Bangor Township, Van Buren County, Michigan
Location: 42.3078, -86.2163, at 30th Ave and 69th Street.
West Brick School (Bangor District No 6) opened its doors in about 1865. In 1871, it was incorporated into the state's public school system. It was closed in the 1960s. This is a very basic rectangular red-brick schoolhouse without much architectural interest. A pretty-unsightly wooden addition to the front added cloak-rooms to the schoolhouse, and an equally-unsightly wooden addition to the back added a storage room or kitchen. An identification sign above the door states this is Bangor District No 6 school, built in 1871. A double-row of yellow bricks under the roof's eave and yellow bricks in the four corners of the building add just a bit of interest. One side of the school has one large window, with some detail above, and with a large patched brick rectangle that probably replaced two other windows. The other side has 3 intact large windows (intact means boarded-up, in this case). The wooden addition covering the front, which destroys the look of the building, holds a sign "Renovations West Brick School Alumni Non Profit Corp" teasing hope for the future of this building.
Here's a past photo of West Brick School: