Strange School, Oneida Township, Eaton County, Michigan
Location: withheld since this school is still in use
Strange School (Oneida District No 3) is a pretty brick schoolhouse of yellow brick with red brick accents in Grand Ledge, Michigan. No bell tower remains, but a chimney in the rear of the school still exists. It was built in 1879 at a cost of $992.54 and is still in use as of 2017. It replaced a frame schoolhouse that had been built in 1855, which replaced a log schoolhouse built in 1838 in the midst of a dense forest with no roadway within a half mile, and which was sold in 1855 for $1.08. The frame schoolhouse was sold for $3.59 and moved off the site when the brick schoolhouse was built. In 1880-81 a woman teacher was paid $104 for the winter term and in 1887 a man teacher was paid $120 for the winter term. In 1891, the school year ran from September to June for the first time. From 1967-1971 there were no students here, therefore no school, but in 1971-2 three students moved into the district and the school reopened for those 3 students.
The entrance to the school faces east. The windows on the south side have been (surprisingly) bricked over, and those on the north side have been expanded. Apparently the schoolhouse is better lit by the diffuse light from the north than the harsh direct southern-exposure light. In a place where children have come each day for over 120 years to learn, 20 children from Kindergarten through 5th grade now arrive each day. In the back of the room is a library and across the back there are three Mac computers. Bulletin boards stretch across the left side of the room and the back, and the right side of the room has six large windows.
Much of this information about Strange School came from the excellent Bess Britton One-Room Schoolhouse Collection at the Webster Memorial Library in Decatur, Michigan, to which I give credit and thanks.