Bunert School (Warren Township District No 4 School), Warren, Macomb County, Michigan
Location: 42.49841, -82.97664, at 27900 Bunert Road, Warren, MI.
Warren Township District No. 4 School, commonly known as Bunert School, in the city of Warren, Macomb County, Michgan, was named for August and Mine Bunert, who sold the land for the school in January 1875. Local trees were cut then milled at the Bunert Sawmill to build the school later that year on the northeast corner of Bunert and Martin Roads. Grades 1-8 were taught in the schoolhouse from 1875-1927, and kindergarten through 4th grade was taught here until 1944. At that time this was the longest-serving one-room school in Warren. The property was purchased by the John O'Connor family in 1944 and it served as a family residence until 1971 when it was purchased by the Santa Maria Lodge. In 1987 the Lodge offered the board-and-batten siding building as a donation to the Warren Historical Society which raised $22,000 to restore it, then moved it a block and a half to its current site in 1988. Restoration of the schoolhouse took about 10 years. The cupola was built and donated by the Weier family in 1997 to complete the building as a museum, following the original design. See more information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Township_District_No._4_School