Mill School, Ray Township, Macomb County, Michigan

Location: 42.769633, -82.928364, at 64255 Wolcott Rd, Ray, Michigan.

Mill School, 1863-1953, was so-named because of its close proximity to the Wolcott Mill, a grist mill established in 1840 and now part of Wolcott Mill Metropark. After closing, the school was used as the Ray Township Hall for 10 years, was vacant for 10 years, then was converted into the Ray Township Public Library in 1983, which it remains as today. The building is of Greek Revival architectural style and followed traditional one-room schoolhouse design, being 26-feet wide and 40-feet deep. It's a one-story frame structure with clapboard siding, with a double-gabled open bell tower. It has an asphalt-shingle roof.

    
Mill School, 1863-1953, at 64255 Wolcott Rd, Ray, Michigan, in Macomb County, was so-named because of its close proximity to the Wolcott Mill, a grist mill established in 1840 and now part of Wolcott Mill Metropark. After closing, the school was used as the Ray Township Hall for 10 years, was vacant for 10 years, then was converted into the Ray Township Public Library, which it remains as today.
    
Mill School, 1863-1953, at 64255 Wolcott Rd, Ray, Michigan, in Macomb County, was so-named because of its close proximity to the Wolcott Mill, a grist mill established in 1840 and now part of Wolcott Mill Metropark. After closing, the school was used as the Ray Township Hall for 10 years, was vacant for 10 years, then was converted into the Ray Township Public Library, which it remains as today.
    
Mill School, 1863-1953, at 64255 Wolcott Rd, Ray, Michigan, in Macomb County, was so-named because of its close proximity to the Wolcott Mill, a grist mill established in 1840 and now part of Wolcott Mill Metropark. After closing, the school was used as the Ray Township Hall for 10 years, was vacant for 10 years, then was converted into the Ray Township Public Library, which it remains as today.

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2021 by Jeff Bondono (email)