McKinley School, Vassar, Tuscola County, Michigan
Location: 43.36814, -83.57635, at 524 Butler St, Vassar, MI.
McKinley School, built in 1886 to serve pupils on the east side of the city, was originally known as the "East Primary Building". However, soon after the assasination of President William McKinley in 1901, the name was changed to McKinley School. It is a 1-1/2 story plain brick two-room schoolhouse on a stone foundation. The main entrance is through two double doors, located within an arched opening. A 40-foot-tall tower once held the school bell, but it no longer remains. The building was used for classes by the school district until 1964, after which it was used as storage by the school district until 1971, then sold to private owners. The schoolhouse currently houses a dance studio. A great 1916 photo of the school can be seen at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinley_School_(Vassar,_Michigan).