Dixboro School, Superior Township, Washtenaw County, Michigan
Location: 42.31258, -83.65646, at 5221 Church Rd, Ann Arbor, MI.
Dixboro School (Superior Township & Ann Arbor Fractional School District No 2) was built in about 1888 for $1200, replacing one built in the early 1830's, and was in use until 1958. Dixboro was founded in 1824 by John Dix, and the schoolhouse stands on land set aside in the original village plat of 1826 as "a public square to be used for construction of a school and church". This red-brick schoolhouse features a bell tower with a schoolbell inside, dental brickwork under the eaves, a merry-go-round in the front yard, a large front door with two large windows on either side, and 3 large windows on each side to let in the light students required for their studies and learning. The sign over the front door clearly reads "1888, Fractional School Dist. No. 2 Superior & Ann Arbor.". The school has been so well preserved because the Dixboro United Methodist Church purchased it and has paid for its upkeep.