Cherry Hill School, Canton Township, Wayne County, Michigan

Location: 42.30652, -83.53649, at 50440 Cherry Hill Rd, Canton Township, MI.

Cherry Hill School, (official name Canton Fractional No 1 School), of Italianate design, was in use from 1876-1955. It replaced a log school built in 1836. The arched plaque engraved into the building above the door says "F.S.D. No 1 C&S 1876", meaning "Fractional School District No 1, Canton and Superior Township, built in 1876". In 1944, Henry Ford, who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill, paid for an addition to this building, as well as for the salary for a second teacher. The school became part of Ford's Greenfield Village School System where students benefitted from art, music and dance curricula. Cherry Hill School was absorbed by the Plymouth School District in 1955.

    
Cherry Hill School, (official name Canton Fractional No 1 School), of Italianate design, was in use from 1876-1955, and was partially funded by Henry Ford who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill. It is located in Canton Township, Wayne County, Michigan
    
Cherry Hill School, (official name Canton Fractional No 1 School), of Italianate design, was in use from 1876-1955, and was partially funded by Henry Ford who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill. It is located in Canton Township, Wayne County, Michigan
    
Cherry Hill School, (official name Canton Fractional No 1 School), of Italianate design, was in use from 1876-1955, and was partially funded by Henry Ford who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill. It is located in Canton Township, Wayne County, Michigan
    
Cherry Hill School, (official name Canton Fractional No 1 School), of Italianate design, was in use from 1876-1955, and was partially funded by Henry Ford who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill. It is located in Canton Township, Wayne County, Michigan

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2021 by Jeff Bondono (email)