A Tourist in Rome - Sant Andrea della Valle
|Location:||41.89641, 12.47434 On Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, one large block southeast of Piazza Navona|
|Metro:||None, perhaps Spagna. See Piazza Navona|
The Basilica of Sant'Andrea della Valle was completed in 1650, 60 years after it was begun. The fresco decoration of its dome was one of the largest commissions of the day. The first chapel on the right is the Ginetti Chapel, and features a 1675 relief called "Angel Urges Sacred Family to Flee to Egypt", by Antonio Raggi, a pupil of Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The last chapel on the left is the Barberini Chapel, and contains 4 beautiful sculptures, one by Gian Lorenzo Bernini's father.