Bainbridge Center School, Bainbridge Township, Berrien County, Michigan
Location: 42.1161, -86.2811, at Territorial and Bainbridge Center Rds.
Bainbridge Center School (Bainbridge District No 7) was built in 1888. It is a red-brick schoolhouse with 2 large windows on one side (others are covered by an L-shaped hip-roofed addition to the building) 4 large windows on the other side, and two front doors with transom windows above them (one for boys, one for girls) with a very large window between them. Above the window is the modern sign identifying the building as "Bainbridge Township Hall", it's current use. Above that is the original school identification sign stating "District No 7, 1888". Above that is a round attic vent, the roof, and the bell tower with a school bell inside. The bell tower is a replacement of the original schoolhouse bell tower, and was installed to replace the original on November 3, 2002. The bricks and mortar of this schoolhouse are painted red, and the trim is all white. Above all windows and doors is a double-row of edge-on bricks in an arch-shape, with a white keystone in the center of the arch. The school was in use until 1967, and the township paid $1000 for the building. Except for the vent under the peak of the roof and the additions and the recent red-paint job, this school is very similar to the nearby Brick School