Delaware District No 3 School, Delaware Township, Sanilac County, Michigan

Location: 43.62477, -82.62824, on the north side of Snay Rd, half way between N Goetze Rd and Big Gulley Rd.

Delaware District No 3 School is a beautiful multi-colored brick building built in 1912, with its original school identification sign intact ("A.D. 1912, Tp Deleware, School Distr No 3"), though no bell tower remains. The fancy brickwork is a testament to the care the community had for their children. Pinkish-red bricks are primarily used, with white bricks for accent. The front has a single centered door with a large window on either side of it and the school ID sign above. A wooden enclosure protects the doorway from the elements. Each side of the school has 3 large windows. All 8 windows feature a concrete window sill with a row of vertical white bricks beneath it, a white brick pattern of alternating long and short "embroidery" bricks on each side, and a 3-row arch of white bricks across the top, the top-most of those rows being bricks that project out of the surface. Each side of the building also has a border of white bricks, with the corner border being formed by alternating long and short "embroidery" bricks. Just above the door and windows on the front, a stripe with a checkerboard pattern runs across the building. A zig-zagging pattern runs under the roof eaves of the front. The checkerboard pattern and the zig-zagging patterns have "mistakes" in them. Sometimes an extra row of white brick or red brick interrupts the zig-zag pattern, and the transition between left-leaning and right-leaning checkerboard is off-center. The schoolhouse is on privately-owned property, but it appears to me that good care is being taken of it. Delaware School District No 6 is just 2 miles up-the-road.

    
Deleware School District No 3, built in 1912, on the north side of Snay Rd, half way between N Goetze Rd and Big Gulley Rd, in Delaware Twp, Sanilac County, Michigan
    
Deleware School District No 3, built in 1912, on the north side of Snay Rd, half way between N Goetze Rd and Big Gulley Rd, in Delaware Twp, Sanilac County, Michigan
    
Deleware School District No 3, built in 1912, on the north side of Snay Rd, half way between N Goetze Rd and Big Gulley Rd, in Delaware Twp, Sanilac County, Michigan

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)