Capitol Hill School, Marshall Township, Calhoun County, Michigan

Location: 42.26462, -84.95190, at 603 Washington St, Marshall, MI.

Capitol Hill School (Fourth Ward School) was built as a two-room schoolhouse in 1860 and was in use for 101 years until January of 1961. The name comes from the townspeople's belief that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol. It is the only survivor of three schools built in Marshall in the Gothic Revival style in 1860. It also has elements of the Italianate style such as pierced decorative barge boards along the four gabled roofs that project from the central hip roof. The layout of the school is similar to the Salisbury School, Maple Ridge School, McKinley School, Old Stone School, Thayer School, Bell Tower School and Monterey Center School. The schoolhouse was sold to the Marshall Historical Society, which restored it from 1968-1972. The schoolhouse required a new roof, the brick was tuck-pointed, the brick was ground and seal coated to reveal the original reddish-brown color, and the trim was painted. The bell tower was reproduced as closely to a photo of the school before the turn of the century as possible, and equipped with a school bell.

    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.
    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.
    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.
    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.
    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.
    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.
    
Capitol Hill School (1860-1961), at 603 Washington St, Marshall, Michigan, in Marshall Township, Calhoun County. Built as a two-room school, and named because the townspeople believed that Marshall was going to become the Michigan State Capitol.

[Home]                         copyright (c) 2012-2022 by Jeff Bondono (email)