Old Stone School, Ann Arbor Charter Township, Washtenaw County, Michigan
Location: withheld, since this school is still in operation.
The original Old Stone School was built in 1853, but needed to be expanded in 1911 since the neighborhood had grown. Members of the community tore down the old building, salvaging its stones, and adding new stones from surrounding farms, and build the present structure in 1911. The stone walls are two feet thick, it has a red tile roof, and a beautiful belfry with a school bell inside. Large windows on the south provide light, and narrow windows on the north provide protection from the elements. A basement furnace heats the building, which includes a girl's cloakroom and a boy's cloakroom, and two outhouses. The school needed extensive and expensive renovations in 1958, 1979 and 1994, and is now operated as Stone School Nursery. This is the only one-room school left in the city of Ann Arbor and the only one in Washtenaw County still operating as a school. The design of this school looks similar to Capitol Hill School, Monterey Center School, Maple Ridge School, McKinley School, Thayer School, Salisbury School and Bell Tower School.